Fixing My Mind, Thinking With A Purpose
Whatever You Think, You Become (Part 2)
Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church
Sermon Delivered by
Trennie L. Williams, PhDc
September 10, 2017
(8) Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
(9) Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
Not to say its proper, but some people feel this way:
Choose your “whatever.” More expressly, decide on and control your thoughts instead of allowing any type of thoughts to control you.
(9) Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.
(10) Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.
(11) Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.
(12) Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.
(13) Contribute to the needs of the saints and seek to show hospitality.
(14) Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse them.
(15) Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep.
(16) Live in harmony with one another. Do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly. Never be wise in your own sight.
(17) Repay no one evil for evil, but give thought to do what is honorable in the sight of all.
(18) If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all.
(19) Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord.”
(20) To the contrary, “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by so doing you will heap burning coals on his head.”
(21) Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
1. Let goodness flow by outdoing each other genuine, brotherly love, affection and honor. (verse 9-10)
2. There is a burning desire within when serving the Lord. (verse 11)
3. Hope, patience and prayer is a constant source. (verse 12)
4. Bless everyone and live in harmony and peace. (verse 13-18
5. Vengeance belongs to God, not you. (verse 19-21)
6. Live in the Spirit. Thrive in the Spirit (Galatians 5:19-26)
(19) Now the doings (practices) of the flesh are clear (obvious): they are immorality, impurity, indecency,
(20) Idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, anger (ill temper), selfishness, divisions (dissensions), party spirit (factions, sects with peculiar opinions, heresies),
(21) Envy, drunkenness, carousing, and the like. I warn you beforehand, just as I did previously, that those who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
(22) But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,
(23) Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge].
(24) And those who belong to Christ Jesus (the Messiah) have crucified the flesh (the godless human nature) with its passions and appetites and desires.
(25) If we live by the [Holy] Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. [If by the Holy Spirit we have our life in God, let us go forward walking in line, our conduct controlled by the Spirit.]
(26) Let us not become vainglorious and self-conceited, competitive and challenging and provoking and irritating to one another, envying and being jealous of one another.